All you wished to know in regards to the profession development in Digital Advertising
The new paradigm has pervaded all aspects of how an organization conducts its business and manages relationships from purchasing to sales
From Sudhanshu Malik,
The rise of the internet and the resulting growth in e-business have forced companies to think beyond the traditional model and develop a new paradigm in order to compete effectively in such a dynamic environment. The new paradigm has permeated all aspects of how a company conducts its business and manages relationships from purchase to sale.
As the COVID-19 crisis brought years of changes in the way companies in all sectors do business. Companies have accelerated the digitization of their customer interactions as well as their internal processes.
Companies around the world are slowly coming to terms with the volatile business
Environment with the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. 2020 marked a turning point for digital migration, with global e-commerce sales growing by 27.6%. With stores closed and health and safety at stake, brands turned to digital channels to meet even basic needs.
How does digital marketing shape companies?
The importance of digital transformation for companies is a widely accepted focus today. In order to achieve the best possible result, companies integrate digital transformation into every business process.
Skills to support digital marketing activities:
- Customer insights: Track and analyze customer behavior, quickly deliver valuable insights to decision-makers.
- Customers understand: Get to know your customers well by tracking, analyzing, and interpreting customer behavior and attitudes.
- Customer Experience: Design customer journeys based on the insights, integrate phases and functions to deliver a great experience.
- Evaluate KPIs and metrics: Continuously track and manage marketing programs and adjust them based on feedback.
Segments in digital marketing
Dividing your audience into groups with similar characteristics is a great way to find opportunities, solve problems, and make sure that any content you send gets to the right audience members.
The main segments of digital marketing are as follows:
- Demographic breakdown: It segments your potential market based on age, gender, sexual orientation, and income.
- Geographic segmentation: The target group is segmented according to their location. For example, you can segment by country or zip code.
- Psychographic segmentation: It enables the segmentation of the market according to personality traits, values, attitudes, interests and lifestyles of the customers.
- Value segmentation: When you segment based on a previous assessment of the transactional data to understand the products customers have purchased and their profitability for the business.
Key component of digital marketing
Digital marketing encompasses a variety of marketing tactics and technologies that are used to reach consumers online. It enables companies to tailor messages to a specific audience so they can market directly to people who are likely to be interested in their product.
Digital marketing can be broadly categorized into
- Search engine optimization: The main goal of SEO is to help a company rank higher in Google search results, which ultimately increases search engine traffic to the company’s website.
- Pay-per-click: Pay per click refers to paid ads and advertised search engine results to increase search traffic to an online business.
- Social Media Marketing: It encompasses everything a company does through social media channels, but marketers need to approach social with an integrated and strategic approach.
- Content Marketing: Content marketing uses storytelling and information sharing to increase brand awareness with the aim of getting readers to take actions such as requesting more information, registering for an email list, or making a purchase.
- Email Marketing: E-mail marketing includes creating convincing campaigns, they also understand the optimal target group approach and are experienced in analyzing customer interactions and data and making strategic decisions.
- Mobile Marketing: Mobile marketing reaches audiences through text messages, social media, websites, email, and mobile applications.
- Marketing Analysis: With analytics, marketers can learn what works well with consumers and tailor their marketing messages, which means they can show the value to the business.
Key competencies for successful digital marketing
Digital marketers need diverse skills as well as in-depth and extensive knowledge in order to design a win-win strategy for digital marketing. Digital marketing skills can be learned with patience, hard work, and determination. You can train yourself to develop the unique skills you need to launch effective digital marketing campaigns for your brand.
The key skills required to run a successful digital marketing strategy are as follows:
- In-depth data analysis: It refers to the use of functional techniques and modern software to collect and process extensive collections of data from various online interactions in your target market.
- Great writing skills: Writing and editing are critical to engaging relevant messages with your target audience and convincing them to take your desired action.
- SEM knowledge: Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM) strategies help increase web traffic. A deeper understanding of this will lead to a better implementation of your marketing strategies.
- Active social listening: Social listening helps your target audience talk about your brand, products, and services. It enables you to gain insights into how your target market perceives your competitors.
- CRM knowledge: Customer relationship management helps to monitor and maximize the customer experience. By understanding their interactions, you can connect with them on a personal level to improve your business.
Pro tips for getting a job in digital marketing
Whether you’re a freshman in marketing or a fresh college passout, every brand wants someone who already has a few years of experience. How do you get that experience without actually having a job?
Here are some tips you can do right now to launch a career in digital marketing:
- Sufficient knowledge in digital marketing: The real step is to have a thorough understanding of what digital marketing is and its key components, which are vital to developing a growth strategy.
- Create your online presence: Digital marketing is a practical concept and you need to try it out by starting your own website.
- Thorough understanding of SEO: SEO helps you learn how to build websites for both users and search engines so that you can apply the same concepts to improve your paid Google Ads and Facebook campaigns.
- Keep an eye on the latest trends: As industry trends are constantly changing, it is important to stay abreast of the latest business trends.
- Knowledge of analytics: If you have an understanding of analytics, you can measure the success of your marketing campaigns.
Career growth in digital marketing
There’s significant career growth and key roles in digital marketing with an attractive package.
Digital Marketing Manager / Digital Director: It is the highest position in digital marketing. It takes 5-7 years of extensive experience and needs to be proficient in marketing strategy development to develop strategies that generate more traffic, run digital marketing campaigns, make improvements to the website and update it regularly, etc.
Expected salary: 4 to 10 lacs per year
Expected salary: 3 to 6 lacs per year
Social Media Executive (SME) & Social Media Manager (SEM): The social media manager / manager needs to keep an eye on the latest social media trends and plan strategies, coordinate regularly with the content team and customer care team, create high quality content or videos, etc.
Expected salary: 3.5 to 7 lacs per year
SEO Executive / Expert: An SEO Executive is responsible for generating traffic to the website and improving the Google rankings, making sure the content on the website is search friendly, doing keyword research, researching SEO tools, sitemaps too create and submit them, etc.
Expected salary: 3 to 7 lacs per year
PPC / SEM expert: The PPC / SEM expert processes PPC keywords, divides ad groups, refines landing pages, creates reports, provides suggestions for ad copies and graphics, etc.
Expected salary: 3 to 5 lacs per year
Content marketer: A content marketer creates high-quality, SEO-optimized content, coordinates with other teams and lets inputs flow into the content, follows content trends, etc. He needs impeccable specialist knowledge and a lot of creativity.
Expected salary: 2.5 to 8 lacs per year
Other roles: In addition, there are many other roles or titles in digital marketing that depend on the company and its needs.
Some of them are:
- Analytics manager
- CRM manager
- Email Marketing Manager
- E-commerce manager
- Account Director for digital agencies
Top 10 digital marketing tools
Aside from effective content marketing and consistent publishing, which is the fastest, most affordable way to achieve marketing ROI, you need a way to measure traffic growth, promote the content, capture leads, and conduct ongoing research on our buyer search trends .
Here is a list of the best digital marketing tools:
- Google Analytics
- Yoast SEO
Future of digital marketing in India
As businesses are pushing to connect with more customers online, the future of a career in digital marketing is pretty bright. Modern technologies are evolving the digital sphere such as Artificial Intelligence (AI), digital personal assistants, and the rise of social media are changing the way digital marketing is controlled.
As automation expands your horizons in the field of digital marketing, so does the need to serve these tasks. With this in mind, many small and medium-sized companies are willing to pay a large amount to employers with excellent experience and knowledge in this area.
(The author is the founder of Stealeads (dot) com. Views expressed are personal and do not reflect the official position or policies of Financial Express Online.)
Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay up to date with the latest biz news and updates.